Why Material Matters When Shopping For Outdoor Furniture
If you've made the decision to furnish your home, there are hundreds of furniture pieces to choose from. One of the most important criteria for selecting furniture is the material that it is made of. Today, we're going to discuss the importance of furniture material, the most common materials found in furniture items, and the best upholstery options.
Why Is It Important To Find The Right Furniture Material?
There are several important reasons that you should always know the material that your furniture is made of. This includes:
- Materials make up the foundation of your furniture. If your furniture is made of flimsy material, it likely won't withstand the test of time.
- Certain types of material are best adapted to certain climates. Depending on the heat, humidity, and wind of your area, there are different materials that will be best.
- Depending on your personal needs, some materials are better than others. For instance, if you have children or pets, you may look into materials that are low-maintenance.
Now, let's look closer at a few of the common materials that furniture is made of.
Most Common Materials
- Wood - Wood is typically used in high-end indoor furniture pieces. In most instances, wood is an extremely durable and long-lasting furniture material. Depending on the piece of furniture, there are different types of wood that can be used. A few wood types include Oak, Maple, and Pine.
- Particle Board - Particle board is frequently used to craft lower-end pieces of furniture. Particle board is made from wood shavings, sawdust, and resin. This material often chips and is not known to be particularly durable.
- Metal - Metal is commonly used to develop the framework of sofas, recliners, and patio chairs. This material is extremely durable and easy to clean, making it a versatile option. With that said, the metal may rust if it is left outside.
- Plastic - A cheap furniture product that is mainly used for the outdoors, plastic is characteristic of outdoor furniture pieces. Plastic is typically not durable, often succumbing to the outdoor elements.
- Resin - Finally, resin is another material often used for patio furniture. Although resin isn't as durable as wood or metal, it can be long-lasting if you take proper care of it.
Most Common Upholstery
Another important consideration that you must keep in mind when buying furniture is upholstery. You should look to purchase furniture with strong, durable, and visually pleasing upholstery. Here are a few of the most common types of upholstery seen on furniture items.
Whichever upholstery option you choose, always make sure that it fits your personal needs.
Hopefully, this article helps you better understand the importance of selecting the right materials for your furniture. If you are purchasing furniture in the future, make sure to choose quality materials that fit your needs.